Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Kindness of strangers

I should have shared this a couple months ago...better late than never, right?  

Remember back in March when I announced that we were going to do a fundraiser for adoption?  We had a few people volunteer to take bottles...one of which was our friend Carrie.  Now the interesting thing about our friendship with her is that we've only met twice...for a few hours total.   Her volunteering surprised me, here was someone who barely knew us, but yet who wanted to help us.  I packaged a bottle and shipped it off to Vermont.  I later learned that she took it to her church and shared our hope to adopt with her entire congregation.  Fast forward to October when we got an envelope in the mail with the return address of Vermont.  Inside we found a check from Carrie's church.  Instantly the tears welled up in my eyes as I thought of a congregation full of people, thousands of miles away who donated to our cause.  Other than Carrie, we had never met any of them, yet they generously gave to someone they'd never met all because they wanted to help.  Inside the card, the members of the congregation had written well wishes to us...again, another act of kindness.

Sometimes the world can seem so cold and mean.  I think it's always good to hear about people doing nice things for others, it restores our faith in humanity. 


And as for the congregation that meets in that picturesque church in Vermont, their kindness means more than they will ever know.  Their kind and generous hearts have helped make our adoption hopes one step closer to reality.  They are a wonderful example of true followers of Christ.

1 comment:

The Chambers said...

It took me a minute to realize you were talking about my SiL... she is pretty darn awesome and I think we can all learn from her kindness(I know i can).