Sunday, January 10, 2010

Baby steps

Today Nathan and I spent the afternoon taking another step in our adoption journey. We got fingerprinted! I was so hoping it would be the old fashioned way with ink, cause that would have made a cuter picture...but turns out the state of Illinois is up on technology and used fancy, non-ink techniques.


Nathan has good deep-ridged fingerprints...mine were not so good. I told the guy I do a lot of things with my hands (sewing, knitting, scrapbooking, painting, sanding, etc...) he said that would easily wear them down. I don't care as long as they are good enough and I don't have to do them again.


It is nice the change a new day can bring. Yesterday I was getting a little (read: ate almost a pound of chocolate) bummed out because our adoption journey is not moving as quickly as I would like it to. The ball had stopped rolling. I felt completely overwhelmed looking at the items left for us to complete before we can bring a child home. The list felt never-ending. Part of me just wanted to give up...I felt hopeless. I went to bed in tears.
Today when we got up we decided to do something on that list. When we walked into the waiting area at the fingerprinting place I felt a surge of happiness. We were moving towards our goal again, we took a step, and albeit a very small step, it sure feels awesome to be rolling that ball again.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

yeeehaw! excellent news

Happy Herrons said...

The fingerprints are HUGE, because so much other stuff depends on that being done. That is a huge step!