Thursday, July 12, 2007

Potter Disappointment

Let me just preface all this by saying that if you haven't seen the new HP movie and want to see it ''unspoiled" you should probably come back another day and read this post...

With that said, lets get to it.

I am kind of a HP freak...not so much that I would make a cloak and wand to bring with me to the movie or that I would name our children Harry, Ron & Hermione...but I do like the books, and some of the movies...in fact, in preparation for the Deathly Hallows next week I re-read ALL 6 previous books so it would all be fresh on my mind...and it only took a little under 2 weeks (nerd)...I was pretty excited for the book and movie to get released so close, it feels like double Christmas...except this would be like opening up a present of dog turd...

We went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (OotP) last night (opening day - nerd) and we waited in line for over an hour (nerd) so we could get good seats. I was excited but a little hesitant...after all, Goblet of Fire was massacred and I worried about OotP. Now let me say this: If you have not read any of the books you will like the movie, mostly. There is a feeling of choppiness and jumping too quick between scenes but overall it is ok on it's own merits...BUT if you have read the books (recently to remember details) the move will anger you...important things are left out...things that explain character's behavior, feelings, etc. AND it seems to only star Harry and Umbridge... all others could really be replaced by card-board cutouts...Ron, Hermione, the Weasley's, Dumbledore, Snape, Malfoy, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks (who was one of my favorite characters in the book), Percy...eeekkkk it made me angry.

I understand that films that are adaptations of books cannot possibly reflect EVERYTHING in the novel, and they won't please everyone because we all have pictures in our minds of how things should look and play out, but I hate it when directors and screen writers feel the need to "Put their stamp on it" (as Nathan says) and change it to 'feel like one of their movies'...

So I am curious, if you have seen the movie, what did you think? (Also mention if you have read all the books and if you liked any of the other movies...Prizoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Chamber of Secrets, Sorcerer's Stone...)

4 comments:

Ryann said...

I have never read the books nor have I had the desire too...but I'm sorry that it was such a disapointment for you.

Janus said...

Holly,

What are you talking about?!
I LOVED THE MOVIE and I even read ALL of the books. I do admit if you had not read the book, I can see how it would feel "choppy" but all in all I thought it was excellent. BTW--Book 5 AKA "OOTP" was the longest book snd if you wanted to hang out at the theatre for 4 hours than the director could of put everything that he wanted into it.

Just remember that this is only my opinion. I still love ya--

Janus

Janie said...

It was ok - but I stand by my original opinion from the beginning - I wish they had NEVER made any potter movies - I was a fan before them and saw first hand children stop reading to "wait for the movies" But overall, and as a Stephen King fan who has had many books made to movie - it is never as good as the book. BTW- I am a friend of Ryann

Kate said...

The fifth movie was horrible. It could have been done SO MUCH BETTER. Director did redeem himself with the 6th movie... however the books will ALWAYS be better. I think the first movie was the best because it was truest to the book (easier to do with a shorter book!). I always re-read ALL the books before seeing the movies.

I hate it when people go to the movies who haven't read the books then say harry potter sucks. Er, no it does NOT.