Saturday, April 26, 2008

All good (?) things come to an end

I attended Nathan's last concert (well, unless you count his Senior Recital which will be in May) last night. It was Concerto Night with the Orchestra and it was really nice. As I was sitting in the concert hall the finality of it all struck me and at once I was sad and then a wave of worry washed over me. We still do not know what we are doing with our lives post-graduation...which is a little scary because it is getting awfully close. (like 40 days close) And while I have not loved our time here (understatement of the year, right??!?), it is still our home right now, and against all my will I have inadvertently let some roots start growing under my wanting-to-wander feet.

We're trying to flesh out some details on our various options to see which direction we should go. We've sort of narrowed it to two, but those are VASTLY different...different area codes, different jobs, different elevations, different hairdressers (and every girl knows a good one is KILLER to find!) etc, etc. It has all been a test of my OCD to let everything try and work itself out. But if it hasn't worked itself out by the 22nd of May our future may get one big specific push in a Navy direction. That is our 2-year post active duty date...after that date you start losing advancement points, etc...so if all the wrinkles haven't been ironed out by then Nathan may be ironing creases in his shirts again.

I would like to stay here just long enough to finish my degree. I already have two minors completed - the result of two 'false starts' in degree programs I thought I wanted to pursue - plus it is significantly less expensive here...but Nathan needs to find a job that pays well and still looks good on paper (for adoption profiles) - which is tough here. College towns are notorious for their low paying jobs because hey, if you don't want it there are 15 other people in line behind you who will do it or less.

So here's to Nathan catching the job - I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

good luck with it all! Keep me posted.

Sheila said...

Well, if you were having a vote, I would be selfish and vote Navy, so that maybe someday we could be stationed by you guys. But, I would have to say, love each other, be happy and go forward with faith, no matter where it takes you. I agree about the hairdresser! :) And...I can't believe it snowed there AGAIN!