Thursday, February 21, 2008

Liar, Liar pants on fire

In my job as a receptionist I have the wonderful opportunity to speak with several telemarketers a day. I have put our numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry but apparently this does not apply to businesses... grrr. On average I would say I get between 15-25 calls a day from said telemarketers and as of late their 'entry line' is getting more and more creative. I still get the "Can I please speak to the person in charge of ordering supplies?" or "Can I please speak to the Office Manager" - in which case I kindly transfer them to a voicemail set up that goes like this: "Thank you for contacting ---- Construction Company. We do not accept solicitation over the phone. You may leave information on your product or service on this voicemail and if we determine it is something that would be of use to our company we will contact you."

Now I have no problem with them normally - I understand they are a business and they need to make money, blah, blah... I do hate the phone calls asking us to renew someone's free subscription to (----fill in one of many titles here---) magazine - of which I get at least 3-4 a day. However, I recieved two calls today that caused me to ponder if these companies crossing the line of honesty. This is how the first one went: (Names have been changed to protect the innocent, and the guilty)

Me: Joe Shmoe Construction, how can I help you?
TM: Can I please speak to whomever is in charge of maintenance at your facility? I forgot his name.
Me: Maintenance of equipment?
TM: No, the grounds.
Me: The grounds? At which location (we have 6)
TM: The ------, -- location (conveniently, the city where our PO box is...) I spoke with him earlier but I have forgotten his name.
Me: Earlier today?
TM: No, earlier.
Me: We don't really have someone in charge of maintaining the grounds, what specifically were you looking for so I can get you to the right person?
TM: Flooring. He called me asking a question about flooring and I am getting back in touch with him.

Now at this point I KNOW they are not being honest with me, but my Ms. Manners brain doesn't let me scream "Liar, Liar" into the phone... so I transferred him to someone who I knew would be honest with them and -not too politley- ask them never to call again.

Here is number two:

Me: Joe Schmoe Construction how can I help you?
TM: Can I please speak with Susan? (Now Susan is the president but she's kinda like the Queen of England - she has the title but doesn't have much power...in fact, she only comes in the office once a week to sign payroll)
Me: She doesn't work here in the office, is there someone else that can help you?
TM: Well, this is Stan from XYZ Aquisitions and I sent her an e-mail yesterday and I was just following up to see if she had received it. (Ok, liar liar... she doesn't have company e-mail...lets see how far this kid's nose can grow) Is there another number where I could reach her?
Me: She is home most days - she only usually comes in once a week.
TM: Oh. Well can you check to see if she recieved the e-mail I sent her?
Me: She doesn't have company e-mail (ha, ha, the jig is up!). Is there someone else who can help you?

The conversation goes downhill now - he knows he has been caught and he knows that I know...I forward him to someone I know is gone today and tell him he'll have to leave a voicemail.

Does it bother anyone else that they are getting a little shady now?? Joy (link to her blog on side) tells of an experience where someone actually claimed to be her brother and was calling asking for money...the funny thing is that she is american and she is living in Taiwan...and the man who called was Taiwanese...

2 comments:

Abby said...

I've noticed they've been getting tricky, too! Our caller ID, which blocks unlisted numbers, will show up as "Cindy Johnson" or a regular name like that, with a regular #. When you pick up, it's a telemarketer instead.

And your bit about the second guy reminded me of a story my uncle told us. He got a call from his hometown's fire department asking for a donation. He would have been happy to, but he knew that his town doesn't even have a fire station--they all rely on county fire fighters in VA. So my uncle asks the guy where the fire station is located. The guy stammers a bit and then my uncle screams, "There IS no X City Fire Department!" and hangs up the phone. Classic.

Ryann said...

Those are too funny. You have way more patience than I would!