Monday, March 31, 2008

um, because you broke the rules, dummy...

I remember when I was in high school I had a very strict curfew. One Saturday I had been out with friends and I lost track of the time. When I noticed it was closing in on the Cinderella hour I pushed my friends in the car and we took off towards home. After dropping them all off I coasted into the driveway at 3 minutes past curfew. I thought I was ok, but I was wrong: I got grounded for a month.

The reason for the reminiscing is I am baffled as of late at the problems facing my political party. The DNC set forth a rule that states were only allowed to have their primary elections on dates approved by the DNC. I can understand this rule completely...if you let states keep changing their dates, the primaries will get sooner and sooner and before we know it presidential primary elections will be held just after the inauguration of the current president.

Well, Florida and Michigan decided to disregard the rules and have a primary outside the allowed dates so the DNC stripped them of their delegates. Each of the states knew before-hand that they could lose their delegates for breaking the rule, but decided to go for it anyway. Now politicians in both states want a do-over. Are you kidding me??!? You broke the rules, got slapped with a punishment and now because you don't like the results you want a do-over??

If the DNC allows a do-over it will shake the already weak foundation upon which ALL politicians stand. If we, as Americans, see this kind of 'leadership' what will that tell us?? That we do not have to take responsibility for your own actions if we do not like the consequences. I think we have enough problems in the great of US of A right now, and we don't need our leaders giving us more rope with which to hang ourselves.

1 comment:

Ryann said...

I completely agree. there is absolutely no reason that they should be allowed to get a 'do-over'.