Sunday, January 30, 2011

Oh, PS....

...I quit my job yesterday.  :) 

I have never really liked my job, even in the fall of 2009 when I was a temp...but I knew my employment there had an expiration date so I stuck it out.  When I got offered the position again this past May, I took it because I thought I'd only be there until mid-August when the twins would be born.  When that adoption failed I decided to stay and work until we were placed with a baby. (I never imagined we'd still be childless six months later)  As the months wore on I remembered just how much I disliked the job.  Crazy hours, the hour commute, working 6 days in a row...sometimes 7, working holidays (yep...even major ones like Christmas and Easter and Thanksgiving), all the drama, being called stupid, getting yelled at on an all-to-frequent basis...good times, right?  Um...no. 

I've been thinking about quitting for a couple months now...especially after the hellish month of December.  (Remember that one?  Where my boss told us just two days before Christmas that one of the four of us was being let go the first week of January??  Incidentally...no one was ever let go...it was a scare tactic)  I've weighed the pros and cons and debated back and forth...but could never quite come to a final decision.  I got in a yelling match with my supervisor and came home in tears twice last week...but even that didn't seal the deal on leaving.  You wanna know what did??  On Thursday night when we heard the news about that adoption situation falling through, my first thought was "Oh crap...that means I'm stuck at my job."  Yep...before I even thought "Oh crap...I'm not going to be a mom."  I quit the next morning.

4 comments:

V said...

Good for you Holly!
Sounds like a terrible, stressful place to work.

Karlee said...

Good for you! I'm sorry you were stuck there for so long. I know how frustrating it can be too, not knowing exactly when your little one will join your family so you feel like you can't really plan your future (in particular career future) It's almost like being in limbo. Hang in there, you are doing GREAT! Your cute family's big day will come and I promise it will be worth all that it took to get there. <3

me and him said...

glad you left. nobody deserves that.

Lori said...

good for you!