Thursday, June 26, 2008

Now that changes everything...

This seems to always happen... we are faced with a decision, we make it and then something comes back and says "Are you SURE you don't want THIS instead??"

We decided about a month ago that we would stay here and Nathan would find a job and I would finish school - as opposed to going back into the Navy. Nathan just got a call from his brother who is still in the Navy and he told us some rather exciting (or aggravating, depending on how you look at it). The GI Bill has been extended to family members of servicemen AND it has been increased AND you now get a housing stipend ontop of the monthly allowance... The catch is this: To have the GI Bill transferred to your spouse you have to have served 6 years active duty and to transfer it to your children you have to have served 10 years active duty. So we fall short of the spouse transfer by 2 years...which is frustrating. Right now we can't afford for me to go back to school - UNLESS we had the GI Bill.

I have to admit that I am tempted to go back into the Navy now just so we can have the money to send me back to school and to send our kids to school (should we ever be blessed with children). The Navy wasn't our favorite thing and I did sometimes HATE it...but would the suffering be worth the payout??

6 comments:

Abby said...

Yes, it is worth it. That's what they're trying to do with the military: make it worth all the crap they put you/your spouse through. Right now job security and free medical care, housing and food allowances, and schooling assistance are worth more than anything else, including your sanity at times. Besides, he's in the band. How dangerous can it be? Irritating, yes. Bad? No.

I wanted to say this before, but now is not the greatest time to go into insurance. My brother's insurance business just failed, along with several more he's familiar with, because of terrible economy. Yes, at one time insurance was an industry in which you could make big bucks, but not now. People are pennypinching and they are going with the bare minimum with everything, especially things like insurance. So yes, Nathan might have a job but you won't be bringing in the major bucks like that guy told him. That's the pitch they give to everyone, but it just isn't so.

Sheila said...

I have to agree on both counts with Abby above. My dad is retiring from State Farm, he's been with them for almost 30 years, and he said it's really bad right now. He's counting down the days. He said the companies are penny pinching, too, so bad that they're cutting jobs and making a few people do a lot of things.

So, you know I love you, too right? I just have to be on the opposite for just a minute about the Navy band program. Sure, we've had our cruddy bosses and nasty schedules, but...he never goes to war, he can mostly get lost in the music and ignore the junk, he brings home a constant paycheck, he supports his family pretty darn good, health care, housing...to me, totally worth it. We've come to the conclusion that we're not in the Navy for the Navy, we're in it to support our family, teach our kids about diversity and serve where we are placed.

I think it's unfair to you guys to judge the Navy by one gig. One duty station isn't enough to say it's all bad. And...do you know how many people you've touched here? I moved here almost a year ago and all I hear about is how much you are loved. You made a difference here and I know you can make a difference in people's lives where ever the Navy sends you. That's really what it's all about. The junk has to be thrown out on trash day, you know? In the long run, it's just a job, but how you progress in relationships, service and life experience is what it's all about.

Sorry, no more preaching from me. Love you guys, and if there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Holly said...

I have had some concerns about the insurance job as well...I hope this guys isn't leading us on, selling us a bigger pie than what we're actually going to get.

And the Navy wasn't all bad - there were many things we liked about it. We have just grown used to being in OUR home, with no neighbors sharing a wall and being close to family, etc. Plus I seem to have a Dr now that actually wants to help us get pregnant - a trial we faced back east because everyone saw us as 'too young'.

It's not that I love living here - because I don't. I feel isolated by infertility and people here are SUPER judgemental and 'uppity' about their religion. I just don't know if I have it in me to move 2000+ miles again...

Anonymous said...

Don't do it. I'd miss you guys too much
Luv Kim

onedayatatime said...

Hmmm.... sounds like you have lots to think about. However, what do you mean NOW you're living near family? What were we all, chopped liver?!!!

Holly said...

I mean specifically parents and grandparents...I know you're family and we loved having you close - it made Newport nice. :)