Thursday, June 12, 2008

Question...

Any of you who know me know that I have struggled with my weight for the last 4+ years - it is an unfortunate symptom/side-effect of the PCOS and weightloss is also very difficult. The last time I was able to succesfully lose a significant (7lbs) of weight was after all my dental work when my jaw was too sore to eat and so all I had was one bowl of soup at lunch everyday and that was it.
Well in preparation for this new dental 'experience' (and by 'experience' I mean paying through the nose to have a root canal done on my perfectly good - only three month old crown) my dentist prescribed an antibiotic - after the first mix up (read below) I was prescribed Clindamycin. Being the Google-loving internet freak that I am I decided to check it out...especially since the Warning Section of the Drug Fact Sheet had many ALL CAPS warnings and even mentioned fatal more than once. What I found has FREAKED. ME. OUT. One of the major (and it seems all too common) side-effects is c.diff. I am a busy girl and right now I don't have time to spend 4+ hours a day on the toilet... not to mention restaurant patrons don't really want to see me running to and from the bathroom all night.
BUT I have been severly tempted to take the drug only for the possible weight loss it might inflict on me - I know, it sounds so shallow and stupid, but so help me, if I have to get one more lecture from my doctor on weight loss (I see him on the 25th) I will scream.

So my question to you all is this: Should I risk getting horribly sick and take the drug just because it might help me lose a little weight?? (even just typing the question now I realize how completly stupid it is...but humor me please)

5 comments:

Abby said...

Well, it's supposed to ward off infection, right? An infection in your jaw could be a lot worse than running to the pot all day. Should you take it for the weight loss factor alone? Heavens, no. That sort of thinking leads to severe eating disorders. But should you take it if it's the only alternative? I would. Did your doctor mention any other possibilities or is this it?

Holly said...

This was the second choice - as his first choice was Penicillin ...but I am allergic to amoxicillin. He (or the pharmacist for that matter) didn't mention ANYTHING to me...it was the fact sheet and the google search that led me to the side-effects.

Lori said...

you are soooo asking the wrong person. me, the one who PRAYS to get the stomach flu so i can drop 10 lbs. yaaah...my mom had to get her mouth wired shut this week for some dental work and I believe the words that came out of my mouth were "you are SO. LUCKY."

so.... with that said... i say, yup go for it! ;)

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not. God loves you just the way you are.
It's you that does not like the way you look. I too
would like to loose a lot of weight, but the healthy way. Have you tried weight watchers yet??

I does work, slow and steady wins the race.

Sheila said...

Weight Watchers rocks. I did it online in Japan and I lost 6 lbs. Wish I could make myself spend the $30 a month to do it again.