Thursday, October 09, 2008

Almost

I almost didn't notice what day it was...almost. I was on facebook leaving happy birthday messages for a couple people and I glanced at the date...October 9th. Funny thing is that I have been typing things this morning with the date on them and have written out the date at least a half a dozen times already - but it wasn't until I coupled it with a birthday that the painful truth surfaced on my conciousness.

Today we should be celebrating our sweet child's second birthday. I should be worrying about balloons and cake. I should be party planning instead of fighting back tears. Two years after that loss we have yet to have a successfull pregnancy. We've lost two more and have had months and months of heartbreaks...each time there is only one line on that test a little bit of our hope is chipped away.

Even if we were not actively trying, we kept hoping that someday our miracle would happen. Full of optimism and hope, we approached our Dr about fertility treatments again. In fact, we just finished three rounds of Clomid - for some reason I thought it might work for us this time....I should have known better. I didn't tell many people about it because I didn't want to get anyone else's hopes up and I didn't want everyone constantly asking if I had ovulated or if it worked. Feeling like a failure is easier if you don't feel like you've also disappointed everyone else around you. So I (and poor Nathan) suffered through hot flashes, mood swings, irratibility, cramps, and dashed hopes for four months...all for naught.

Losing a baby is not easy - and in a way I am glad that of the three, I only remember one due date. I think there is a part of my brain that has shut out the dates and memories of the second and third losses...a defense mechanism, for my heart.

11 comments:

Joe said...

I didn't know you guy's have lost three babies. It's so sad to hear. Jenn and I lost our first and that was the hardest thing that we've had to face, I can only imagine what you guys are feeling... I guess that comforting messages are pretty much inadequate, so just know that we'll be thinking of you and Nate today.

Kirk said...

I hope you find some sense of peace today. It has to be hard and I am sorry you two have to go through this.

onedayatatime said...

I'm sorry, Holly.

onedayatatime said...

Have you made any decisions on career moves yet?

Chels said...

I wish "sorry" even began to cover how I feel about this. I know you've lived with this sort of loss for a lot longer than I have, but I know what you are feeling...at least to some degree. One the hardest things for me is to think that no one but myself will ever know or remember my little baby. Rest assured, today I'll be crying and remembering your little one with you my friend.

Kara said...

Holly:

I am so very sorry for all you are going through. You are such a wonderful and lovely person and you deserve good things and happiness. Nothing I can say will make things any easier. You are always in my thoughts!

Happy Herrons said...

Oh sweetie -I am so sending you big hugs and a shoulder to cry on. Clomid is so horrid. I was so yucky and gained weight and it was crappy. I am sorry we couldn't share Clomid-gross stories. My prayers are with you.

Melissa said...

With my daughter going through this, I so know what you're going through. I anxiously await your announcement that you've found the perfect baby for you and your husband! Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry. love you two lots
Kim

Richard and McKenna said...

I know you don't know me but I have found your blog from others. I hope you don't mind me reading your blog, but it helps me because I too have gone through 3 miscarriages and suffer badly on the due dates of my pregnancies. I am sorry for the pain you go through. Just in case you are curious, I started a blog about my thoughts on miscarriages: http://apersonalcrucible.blogspot.com/
I wish all the best for you.

Richard and McKenna said...

p.s here is the link to a post on my own past due date: http://apersonalcrucible.blogspot.com/2008/10/happy-birthday.html