Monday, October 27, 2008

OCD

Sometimes my OCD comes in handy...take for example our move from RI. When we packed our house up, (because I didn't trust anyone else to so it as good as I could) I had a system. Each box was packed according to what room it would go in at the new house. Each room was assigned a color (kitchen was red, family room was orange, bedroom was blue, etc). When the box was packed it was assigned a number, which was printed on little circle tabs in the assigned color and placed on three sides of the box. Then colored tape was wrapped around the box so we could identify quickly which room it belonged in. Each box was also listed on a spreadsheet. I recorded the box#, room, contents and date packed. I also had a column for date unpacked. My obvious display of OCD helped once we got here, as I was able to unpack very quickly.

It also helps when planning parties or any other event. Nathan will tell you that I am queen of lists. I makes lists for EVERYTHING. Some things get more than one list. (You should see the ones for our Halloween Party...) I have one notebook all full of lists/notes about baby things. Like a list of what to take to the hospital for the birth, people we want to send announcements to, projects I want to complete before the baby is born (all broken down by trimester too), wish lists of things I want to buy, etc. The ironic thing about that whole notebook is we aren't pregnant...and now that we are going to adopt, many of those lists will not be needed. But the exciting thing is that new lists will have to be made (yay for lists!!)

The OCD makes things tough for me too...especially when I have no control over a situation. It stresses me out and causes insomnia, headaches, etc. I actually keep a notebook and pen at my bedside so I can write lists in the middle of the night...which is {supposed} to save me from the insomnia. Putting my thoughts on paper {supposedly} gets them out of my head so I can sleep...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That is where Ambien comes in.

That brings me to our current situation: I lost our camera. Well, I'm not sure if I lost it or if Nathan lost it...but it is lost nevertheless. Not my new Nikon (thank heavens!) but our little point and shoot digital. Now, I know it is just a camera, but it is FULL of stuff from the football games. Videos, interviews, pictures...all of which have not yet been downloaded. I am freaking out that I may have lost all that stuff and I will have not enough material to do the band video. We have torn the house apart, checked every inch of both cars and it remains nowhere to be found. This creates quite a problem for my OCD brain. I cannot sleep, I cannot work, I cannot focus on anything else...I'm not even hungry (which is ASTOUNDING)... all I can think about is that blasted camera.

So last night at about 2am (so I guess technically this morning) I thought about something that could help me {maybe} find our camera. I got up and went online to look at our bank statement (yes, at 2am...) and found something that helped to narrow down our search. But my mind was still racing, I had to consciously stop myself from waking Nathan to talk to him about it, you know, because he had to get up in two hours to go to work.

Here's to hoping we find it soon - or I think my brain may explode.

(Oh, you know how on Excedrin bottles it says to not take more than 2 in 24 hours? How important do you think it is to actually follow that? I just took my 5th and 6th tablets in 48 hours...this headache WILL NOT go away)

6 comments:

me and him said...

dang girl! the packing idea is honestly, genius! next time we move i'll have to steal the idea! and your list are wonderful. in fact...if i remember right the majority of our clocked in hours for stork landing were spent making lists!! i'm so sorry you lost your camera, and that it's worrsening the insomnia. i'm thinking you may be okay with the amount of excedrin you've consumed! now you just need a very very large coke!! it's the only thing that takes my headaches away. hope you find the camera soon!

Anonymous said...

I HATE HATE HATE it when i lose things. Shane lost our i-pod and 2 weeks later it Still consumes me. Yes, I'm up at night looking for it, abcessing about where it is ect. It is horrible when you can't turn your mind off. Xanax helps.. LOL...... Good luck on the adoption. and You can make all kinds of lists for that. even different ones for boy or girl.
Luv ya Kim

Sheila said...

I make lists, too. Shelle was so making fun of me when I had my closet doors covered with lists when we moved back to the US from Japan. I think I had 8 lists, and did everything go way better and smoother with those lists? YOU BET. Long live LISTS!

I lost my scriptures once. The ones David gave me when I went on my mission. I was just sick. I went through every single step I made trying to figure it out and was sure that I had left them on top of a TV at the stake center after I spoke at a baptism there. You know, I finally got down on my knees and said a humble little prayer. True story, I got up off my knees and had the simple thought to look in the bottom of the laundry basket. There they were in the very bottom of the laundry basket right along side one of Jacob's toy cars. He must have thrown them in there while playing. Thank goodness for tender mercies like that!

Abby said...

Oh MAN that sucks about the camera! Is it a good lead as to where it might be?

Excedrin. You have come to the Queen and I have the answers. Excedrin works only temporarily. Excedrin is notorious for fixing the problem in the short run but causing even bigger problems down the road. Most especially, it is guilty of causing rebound headaches. The caffeine in it (and in Coke) makes the headache go away temporarily, only to return with greater force once that wears off. The more caffeine you consume for it, the worse it will get. You would do well to get off Excedrin all together or you will never break the headache cycle.

If what you have is a migraine, you're too late to fix it. No amount of Excedrin (or any other medication) will get rid of it once it's gotten beyond a cerain point, which it sounds like it has. Taking more Excedrin is only keeping your body from getting rid of it.

In the future, take drugs as soon as you feel the pain coming on--there is no sense in waiting it out. Nip them in the bud. The best OTC drug of choice for headaches is Aleve (so says my Johns Hopkins neurologist, if that means anything). Also, Motrin will do the trick but will kill your liver eventually.

But for the love of all that's holy, get off the Excedrin. I took it for years and years and it was hell breaking the addiction to it and thus tempting to just take more to quell the pain, but it's worth it. You just have to remember that it's the Excedrin causing the pain, not preventing it.

Holly said...

Well, we have turned the house upside down looking for it - after thinking about it I think I lost it at the football game vs BYU a few weeks back. I didn't need it again until this past saturday so I didn't notice it was missing.

Abby - Thanks for the tip on excedrin. I didn't take any today and although it almost KILLED me...maybe I can break the cycle which would be good :)

Abby said...

Good for you! Good luck with the headache.

I don't suppose some good Mormon thought to turn the camera in to lost and found?