Friday, June 26, 2009

Progress

So I had a corporate recruiter contact me yesterday afternoon and I had an interview with her today. You know it is awfully humbling to have to beg for a job with an interviewer who is five years your junior. They didn't have a job for me right now, but they wanted to pre-screen me so that if something does comes in they know I'm not a freak.

On the way to this interview another corporate recruiter called me, I told her I was just getting on the freeway and asked if I could call her back. She said she'd call me this afternoon...I hope she really does call me back.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed that one of these interviews pans out into something that will help pay the rent. :) This is one (of the few) thing(s) I hate about the military. It makes it hard to move up the corporate ladder when you have to change jobs every 2-3 years. I have thought a lot about opening up my own photography studio, but you do the best if you can build a clientele and with me moving so much that makes it hard to build up a 'fan base'. I need to work on building a career that could move with me, but that requires school, which requires $$, which we are VERY short on. Nathan can transfer the GI Bill to me, but not until he's got 6 years in...which we are about 18 months away. There is some little program out there that will give military spouses some cash for school, but it won't go too far here in Chicago and I have to work...to pay the mortgage on the house we no longer live in (argh), and then catch us up from this road of financial ruin we've gone down (argh).

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Holly, I know I'm the last person to talk about a career, but here's one suggestion for some extra money. Mary Kay has been an awesome company to be a part of. I don't know how you feel about selling cosmetics and skin care, but I can't say enough about this company and the product. It really sells itself. There are women in this company with full time jobs who are working Mary Kay on the side and making $4000/month+. I just mention to anyone that I'm a MK consultant and I've got new business. The thing I like? Their motto is "God first, Family second, Career third." They make it very easy to make a good living in this company. And another good thing is that the product is in demand pretty much always, it gets washed off every night! Just some thoughts.

Holly said...

I don't think I would be a good Mary Kay rep...I don't wear makeup (except eye shadow and mascara) and I don't really do a skin care regimen (I know I should)...if I did any sort of a direct sale thing I would probably to Scentsy.