Monday, September 14, 2009

More Mosaic-ing

(To see my other mosaic table go HERE

We were in desperate need of some table of some sort for our entryway...you know, something for wallets, etc. I found this stool at Goodwill for a whopping $3.99. Big Spender. (Oh, I felt like sharing the greatness of my Goodwill so I introduced my friends Sara and Nadia...who will now undoubtedly be Goodwill Addicts too... to it. You know you're my true friend when I introduce you to Goodwill. I got this stool on their maiden voyage.)


On the way home from Goodwill I made Sara and Nadia swing by Home Depot to get some more paint chips. :)


After making the squares (3/4" this time...and I tell you what, that 1/4" made SUCH a difference!):


I put a tiny bit of Mod Podge on the table, then laid the squares down...then once the whole table was covered I used a mini roller to roll on the Mod Podge.


Then I went back and pushed down some of the tiles that wanted to peel up a bit.

The finished product: (I took everything off for the picture...normally it has a coin jar, Nathan's wallet and glasses, etc on it)


Sunday of Labor Day weekend I thought I would get a jump start on this project and paint the legs. I planned on finishing the table Monday morning. Well, it seems that once I start a project that involves Mod Podge I just cannot stop. When 3:30am rolled around I was rolling on the last coat of Mod Podge, maybe I should be going to Mod Podgers Anonymous.

2 comments:

Lori said...

ooo i like it. how do you do it? i didn't realize it was just paper! i could totally do something like that. i thought it was tile or some other random thing. anyway... can you email me or fb me some directions? :)

Sheila said...

Holly, questions....I've never done the podge, but do you use it for the "glue" and the top coat? And, how did you get the look of a "border" around the paint chips? Did you paint the top of the stool a different color before the paint chips went on? I did something like this once with washi paper on a Japanese tea box, I'm sure the Japanese glue I used translated to Mod podge! :)