Friday, January 08, 2010

The truth

A friend had a post that got me thinking. She wondered if the version of us that we post here in blog world is truly that of ourselves, or if it is a sweetened, photo-shopped version. I have often wondered the same thing as I peruse the blogs of friends and family...and I have had people pose questions or comments to me that make me wonder if they know the true me.

I think in my case I fall on the other end of the spectrum. Most people try to polish everything and make their life all bright and shiny. I am not afraid of the ugly. I have no shortage of posts where I show the wounds of my soul, or whine about the unfairness of the world. I think I am a more cheerful person than my blog portrays. I have people tell me all the time that they think I use drugs because otherwise I could not be so happy. I guess I need to work on showing that side of Holly on this blog.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I know that you are super happy!

Ryann said...

I have had those same thoughts. I try to keep my blog real-show the good and bad of my kids. When they are great and when I want to throttle them. I try to vent but on occasion when I have I have gotten in some uncomfortable situations about who/what I vented about.

It's funny that you wrote this now. When I wrote about my goals for the year(which were incidentally inspired by yours), I wanted to write that I have lost my testimony of the LDS church but was too nervous about what too many people would say if they read it. My parents jumping for joy, my friends in the ward wondering why I'm there, etc. So instead I just summed it up as losing my faith knowing that those close to me might understand.

It is sometimes hard to decide how much to share. I however, have never thought that your blog makes you sound pessimistic at all. Just real!

Grandma Bailey said...

As a bishop's wife, I have learned I have to be very careful what I blog about - no matter how I try to disguise it. I have had people come up to me from the stake that tell me they love my blog and read it all the time. I had no idea. One time when I thought I had posted a blog about myself - someone in the ward thought I was posting about them. Weird I know but Clyde got all sorts of calls about it from a lot of people. I found out then that I had to be really careful what I said. My heroes and heroines are just that - people that make my life better (like you and Nathan) because I have had the blessing of knowing you. My book reviews are fun and I have had a couple of authors thank me for saying nice things about them. Two sisters in the stake are now cooking at home for their families instead of doing take out because of my recipes. I never knew I was making a difference until people started coming up and thanking me. I try and keep it real but upbeat. I love that I can read yours and know you are having a good or bad day. In a sense you are lucky because yours doesn't have to reflect your husband's or your Church calling. I also know that no matter what you will always be our daughter and Nathan will always be our son and we love you very much. Keep on keeping it real.