Friday, January 08, 2010

Don't you want to be a Betty Crocker too...

Since I am not spending 11-12 hours a day away from home at work I have more time to cook. I love to cook and I have many cookbooks, all of which have fabulous recipes...but sometimes I just wonder what other people are cooking. In the cold months of winter, nothing is better than a bowl of warm soup or a yummy casserole. I have a few go-to recipes but I'd like to add a few to the repertoire. Do you have a go-to soup or casserole recipe? Feel like sharing??

To be fair, I'll give you one. This soup is FANTASTICAL. I warn you...you may just lick out the saucepan...and once you make it for someone they'll ask for it over and over. I got it out of a Taste of Home cookbook (which are seriously THE BEST cookbooks - got my first one from my grandma almost 10 years ago for Christmas) and modified it here and there every time I made it. I use ground turkey instead of beef because it has less fat...and honestly, if it is in something like soup, tacos, chili, etc you cannot tell. Try it, I dare you. I also do not peel my potatoes, I like the flavor the skin gives...and it is less work. :) Here it is:

(pic from Taste of Home)

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup
  • 2 C water
  • 3 C cubed potatoes
  • 1-1/2 C sliced carrots
  • 1/2 C chopped green onions
  • 1 large chopped green pepper
  • 1-1/2 Tbs beef bouillon granules
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1-1/2 pound ground turkey
  • 2-1/2 C milk, divided
  • 3 Tbs all-purpose flour
  • 1 C shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 lb bacon, sliced into 1/2" pieces and cooked

Directions

  • Cook bacon.
  • Brown turkey with garlic. Season with cayenne pepper.
  • In a large saucepan, combine the water, veggies and the bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  • Stir in turkey and bacon and 2 cups of milk; heat through.
  • Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).

Ok, your turn.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I just made a chicken pot pie for the first time this week. It was excellent and easy! Great winter food!!

MOSblue said...

Thanks Holly! I am going to try this one out!! I even have all the ingredients at home. You always make the BEST meals. There are still meals I make that I learned from you. Here is one that we make ALL the time that we call "Yum Grenades", although they are the furthest thing from being healthy. They are small sandwiches with ham & swiss (or cheddar) baked inside King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. It kind of reminds me of eating white castles because you have to eat 3 or more! They taste great with a hearty tomato soup. I bet they would also taste great with your Spicy Cheeseburger Soup!

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
2 tsp Worcester Sauce
1 tsp Garlic Powder
12 King's Hawaiin Sweet Rolls
1 lb. shaved ham (deli or packaged)
1/4 lb. thinly sliced cheese (swiss or cheddar work fine)

Prep:
Cut your cheese into small squares so they are the same area as the roll.

Directions:
Melt butter. Add & mix garlic powder and worcester sauce with butter.

Pour 1/4 of butter mixture on the bottom of a 9 X 12 casserole dish (I use my pampered chef stone dish).

Cut rolls in half. Build rolls with 2 slices of cheese and 1-2 slices of ham as the center. Set sandwiches closely together in the casserole dish, on top of the butter mixture. Pour remaining butter mixture over the top and in between the sandwiches. Bake uncovered at 350 for 15 minutes (or until slightly browned).

Enjoy!