I have been wanting an ottoman, but there are lots of things higher up on the priority list. Enter this table:
It was being used as an elevated home for the kitty food, but Besta had figured out how to get his big goober head high enough to slurp the cat food out of the dish with his long tongue, so I needed to move the food to someplace higher. That left the table unused and so I decided to get my crafty on and re-purpose it.
First thing I did was take off the legs.
Then I painted them. Now, if you're going to be smart, sand the legs before you paint them. I didn't and the paint ended up peeling off so I had to redo it. (Grrr....I hate it when I try to take shortcuts. When will I ever learn!?!)
I used this spray adhesive to attach to squares of foam to each other - both bought with a coupon - gotta love Joann's 40% off coupons! (I printed off multiple copies of the coupon and made Nathan stand in line behind me and use one...hehe) I also picked up the fabric at Joann's in their red tag section...I am a bargain shopper!
Then I sprayed the foam and attached the fabric - which I would NOT do again..it causes the fabric to gather and get bumpy on top.
Then I sprayed some more adhesive on the bottom of the foam and attached the table top. I pulled the fabric tight and had Nathan staple the fabric to the bottom of the table top.
After it was all secure, I trimmed the fabric, reattached the legs and tried it out. Problem...it was about three inches too tall. It was uncomfortable to use as an ottoman. So Nathan used a handy cheap-o IKEA saw and sawed three inches off the legs. (Note to fellow crafters...it is probably not a good idea to try and saw something after midnight if you want it sawed straight...fair warning)
I touched up the paint and re-attached the legs and viola:
Not completely sold on the legs yet...they might get painted a different color...but I LOVE the fabric.