Sunday, June 24, 2007

try, try again

We tried church again today - we made it only the first hour though...between my allergies (nasty, stupid pollen) and all the TALKING going on I just couldn't take anymore.

Now I know we don't have kids and so we are not experts on how to keep your kids behaved during church...but we have been to church with neices and nephews MANY times and seen MANY other parents with kids and have noticed a lot (afterall we weren't distracted by children, since we still don't have any). I remember our neices/nephews having little books to read and snacks and such...but they were (for the most part) generally well-behaved during church...now I know that you can't expect a small child to sit through over an hour of an adult meeting sitting perfectly still unless you have administered a tranquilizer before hand...and I know really young ones are tough...they are still learning the difference between indoor and outdoor voices and the have so much energy - those I understand... but having an all out battle with Lord of the Rings action figures or Soap Opera scale barbie happenings in the middle of the sacrament?!? Maybe, (and once again I am just speculating because of our lack of sacrament meeting parenting skills) just maybe those type of toys should be left at home...

I think parents should be able to teach their kids the importance and reverence of prayer...to sit quietly, fold their arms and NOT YELL during the appx 1.5min prayer....I remember Nathan's sister and hubby teaching their daughter to pray when she was LITTLE...like less than one year old! Now I know that kids that little don't understand all that is going on - but they learn quick and if they learn that this is important and special, they will cooperate most of the time...and then once they are older they will repect prayers because it is what they were ALWAYS taught to do...



I really tried today to go with an open mind, because I WANT to love going to church again...I miss looking forward to church, I did in Newport (for the most part - there were those days though...and the occasional psycho person, but overall...) If it is going to be like this I think I am going to pull my hair out ( and maybe strangle some parent who is participating in the Lord of the Rings battle or Barbie soap opera...)

Help me out here, those of you who have kids...is it really that hard to keep kids quiet during church meetings? Have any of you had experiences with noisy meetings? What did you do to not get distracted?



(Please don't think I am trying to be overtly rude...I AM NOT...and if it comes off that way I am sorry) :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly, I do'nt have kids yet but I agree with what you are saying, by the way a yellowjacket bit me on the boob the other day when I went out on my balcony to hang my bathmat out to dry, that could only happen to me, I had a dress on too and the damned thing bit me through the fabric, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

About the kid thing at church, we are always worried that we are bugging people. We actually do not take any toys to church and only pull out the snacks when there is an emergency because those things make our boys go even more wild. We really try to be quiet but sometimes it just doesn't happen. We do take them out when they get too loud and Matthew who is 3 now is learning that out is a really bad thing, especially with Mom.
Be patient though. I know you know that church is where you belong on Sunday and I also know it is really really really hard for you right now. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through right now. Maybe try out Sunday School or relief society, there aren't as many kids in those classes.
We need to get together some time. July is already really packed but maybe in August we could do something together if you would like.

Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi
I know what you mean about parents not controlling their kids at church. i don't even go that often and one time this 2-3 yr old boy was driving his noisy chevron car up and down the isle. I just looked at the parents like what the He#% are you thinking??? I think books or coloring are better. Yeah know.. QUIET toys!!!
I have 4 kids. They won't always be quiet but that is why you get up (Off your lazy Butts) and take them out! Also if a baby is crying get up and leave too. Parents should be more respectful of others , It will also teach their kids to be. Some people need a lesson in manners.

big pet peeve of mine!!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly:

Just checking in. I completley understand what you are going through. I made a little activity book for Wyatt that he only gets to use when we are at church. It consists of different activities such as matching, and letters, and other church themed activites and he just LOVES it and so do the kids sitting next to or behind us haha! I also bring an aqua doodle (a little toy kind he can draw with) as well as snacks. He does pretty good most days hwever I am STILL trying to break him of the habbit of saying "Gaga Gaga Ga" at the end of the prayer. I haven't a clue why he does it but he has said that for over 7 months now AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!! LOL!!! Anyhow I hope you are well... drop me a line if you get a chance...

Kara