Wednesday, November 05, 2008

History was made


When I was standing at the voting booth yesterday, as I pressed my finger to the screen I felt a pulse of electricity slip down my spine. I was a part of history. Everyone that voted, regardless of their decision, was a part of history. We had record-breaking turnouts...which excites me. I hope this is just a sign of the way things will be the next election, and the next. People who take an interst in their government are a blessing to everyone who lives in that country.
I was moved to tears several times last night watching all the results roll in. When an elderly african-american woman was interviewed and she could not even speak because of her emotions, I welled with tears. When John McCain gave his concession speech, especially the following part, I welled with tears.

These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.
I urge all Americans ... I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.
Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that.

During Obama's speech, I couldn't hold back my excitement. That a man from humble beginnings could rise to the most powerful office in the nation, and arguably the world, gives hope to all americans, regardless of race, or gender or social status. When he mentioned his daughters were going to get to bring a new puppy with them to the White House I laughed and smiled. The first statement in his speech was powerful:

If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

I am proud of our country, I am excited for the next four years and I can't wait for January 20th!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

So, you know, I didn't vote for Obama, but I accept that he's going to be President. I'm excited to see what happens. I really wish our country could accept him as the President and move on regardless of who they voted for, but from all the whining and moaning I hear today..... maybe not. Too bad.