Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Today is the day we recognize veterans of wars previously fought, lives lost in defense of this great nation as well as those who currently wear the uniform of freedom. As I was thinking about Veteran's Day I thought of many things I could put here to honor them. Then I got to work and learned that a co-worker of mine, Shane Armstrong, died last night. He never served in the armed services, he never defended our freedom, but I feel I need to honor him today.
When we were having troubles with the ward and with infertility, one day I just couldn't hold it in. I was sitting at my desk, a little teary and Shane happened to come by. He talked to me for about 45 minutes. Never in our conversation did he get preachy, never did he tell me to just get over it. He just listened and offered some sound advice and put his arm around my shoulder. The last month or so of his life was painful and horrible for him. I am relieved to hear of his passing, so that his suffering is over. Yet, I cannot help but feel that the world is a little emptier today, without him.

With that, my #11 thing to be grateful for is my health. I know I am not the healthiest and my body cannot keep pregnancies and my blood sugar runs amok...but I don't have cancer, and I have all four limbs, and I can see and I can hear and I can walk. And for all of that, I am grateful.

No comments: