Wednesday, August 09, 2006

how embarrasing...

I was reading someone else's blog and they mentioned some pretty embarrasing stories...and got me thinking of my own moments during which I wish the earth could have swallowed me whole to avoid the embarrasement that was sure to follow...so I thought, why not share...everyoone needs a good laugh now and then...BUT the deal is, if you read, you too must share - via the comment section - because I am not the only one getting embarrased today!

Ok...so I was a bit of a band nerd in High School and College...ok, more than a bit...I was a BIG band nerd...

My freshman year at college I was on the USU drumline. We were practicing our first day at drum camp out on a patch of grass and it was getting late and we were all tired and hungry..well JT (our leader) was NOT going to stop yet...so we were marching around fast and crazy and I tripped...and within a matter of milliseconds the entire drumline was on the ground...a guy named Jeff (funny, funny guy) yelled "The Hell?" - complete with a southern accent, hysterical - it became the catch-phrase of the season - anyway there was some blood and one guy actually needed stitches and there were many bruises...when they found out it was me, man I NEVER lived that one down...way to make a great first impression huh? oh, but the funniest part was there were a couple old people watching us practice and when we fell they all just kinda looked around and walked away - he he he

So then my sophomore year I was on the drumline again...and we were marching from the practice field to the stadium right before the game and I totally biffed it...dented my drums (I marched the tenors/quads...big nasty 45lb things), ripped holes in the knees of my uniform and I did it in front of the ENTIRE USU football team...to make matters worse (as if they could have been) the team doctor took me into the team's locker room to fix my knee up...talk about embarrased...

So by now I had earned the nickname 'trip' and everyone always joked about it and teased me...

Junior year comes along and This one time at Band Camp we were doing drills on the hot pavement and it was almost lunch-time (once again, not good to leave me hungry) and I tripped (couldn't let the pattern die now could I) and got pretty nasty road-rash on my knees - in fact I still have a ocuple tiny bits of asphalt stick in my left knee - blood was running down my legs, soaking my socks but T Rohrer was not going to let me get out of marching...so at lunch I hobbled to my friend Jenny's apartment and she tried to get all the asphalt out of my knees...you know how sometimes something hurts so bad you feel like you want to throw-up...that is how this felt. At least the first time I fell it was on grass...and the second I had pants on...this time there was nothing inbetween my knees and the 105 degree asphalt...OUCH!

Nathan still calls me trip...and I don't let him down, about every other month or so I trip on something...stupid feet

Ok, I have shared - now you must too...bring 'em on!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I was a total band nerd too!! My friends and I would skip classes to go hang out in the band room, I still have my band jacket, etc etc. Dave was also a band nerd, but I think I was moreso. Good thing he married me or I'd be lost!!