Tuesday, November 30, 2010

30 Days of Thankful: Recap

So whilst I've been bombarding you with adoption related posts, I've also been doing my 30 Days of Thankful.  Throughout the month you could find it on the 30 Days of Thankful Tab on the top menu...see up there?...to the right a little more...there you go.   But just in case you missed it here are my 30 Days of Thankful 2010:


Nov 1 - Adoption.  I'm grateful that I live in a day and age where adoption is a widely accepted practice.  In years past Nathan and would have probably not had the chance to raise children.  Yay for modern times!

Nov 2 -  Drugs.  The legal kind.  I've been battling a nasty bug for over a week and without the decongestant I think I would have just given up and stayed in bed for a week. 

Nov 3 - Free Pie Wednesday.  Baker's Square is a restaurant that offers a free slice of pie with the purchase of anything on their menu...the offer is good Wednesday evenings.  Guess where we were tonight??  Yep...you guessed it.  I got pumpkin, Nathan got apple.  Yummy!

Nov 4 - My friend Christy.  A year ago we had this big idea to plan Chicago's 1st ever Walk for Adoption.  It has been quite the undertaking and we've grown to be good friends through this planning. Tonight I spent the evening at her house stuffing swag bags and chatting about life and adoption.  I'm grateful to have a friend that "gets it".

Nov 5 - Early Days.  I work 6 days a week...which I am NOT thankful for, but two of those six days I only work a half a shift so I get off early and today is one of those days!  Hooray!

Nov 6 - Good Weather.  The Walk was today and I had been praying, hoping and crossing fingers that we would not have a snow filled day.  It was chilly today, but the sun was out and it was beautiful!

Nov 7 - Mom.  Today was a rough day.  I was up late last night doing stuff for Primary and had to get up early to finish it.  Then my printer was giving me problems and I was running 40 mins late for church.  I got a couple upsetting emails and by the time I got out the door I was teetering on the verge of an emotional/physical/spiritual/mental breakdown.  I called my mom and she calmed me right down. 

Nov 8 - Time in the Kitchen.  We had some friends over for dinner tonight so I planned a nice, big meal.  I cooked a Portobello roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, acorn squash, rolls, a green salad, pumpkin pie and apple/cranberry pie.  Oh, and homemade whipped cream.  Yummy. 

Nov 9 - Uneventful Work Days.  Today at work nothing broke.  Nothing caught fire.  There was no yelling, no hair pulling, no major drama.  It was boring...and terrific!  [[knocks on wood]]

Nov 10 - Christmas Candy.  I know, it's shallow.  But I LOVE Christmas candy.  Lindt Dark Chocolate Peppermint truffles, Wonka gummy sweettarts, Danish Butter Cookies, mint M&M's, you name it...if it's red and green and sweet count me in!  I think I might be over indulging in the Christmas Candy because we won't be putting up a tree this year because of the move.   I gotta get the holiday spirit in our home somehow. 

Nov 11 - Veterans.  I'm grateful for those brave men and women who have served and are serving our country.  I am especially grateful for my hubby, my grandfather Parley and my late neighbor George Sant. 

Nov 12 - Supportive Hubby.  I had an appointment downtown today and after it was all over I got to spend the day with my hubby.  It's been a tough week and when I told him I wanted to drive to Aurora (about an hour and 15 mins) to go to the Lindt outlet he didn't try and talk me out of it (which is what he usually tries to do when my desires involve candy and treats...he's the voice of reason).


Nov 13 - Goodwill.  I love to read.  But buying books new from Borders or Barnes and Noble can add up really quick.  So I love that my favorite Goodwill has a large book selection...and they are $0.89!!  I'm grateful I have an option to get books for so cheap.  I scored today - I got five books I've been wanting to read.  Can't wait to dive in!

Nov 14 - Afternoon naps.  Even though I had to work today and I hate working on Sundays...I got home early enough to sneak in an afternoon nap with Winston.

Nov 15 - Feeling Appreciated.  This week is Employee Appreciation Week at my work.  The owners of our company are having lunch catered every day...and some days breakfast too!  There will be contests and raffles and lots of snacks.  It is always good to feel appreciated. 

Nov 16 - Opportunities to be creative.  I got to design a crazy hat to wear to work today...and I won second place in the competition!

Nov 17 - Perspective.  I have been looking forward to today for a while...well, since last year's November 17th actually.  I got my hopes up and when our miracle didn't happen I was admittedly very sad.  I posted on facebook about my mood and a friend commented and helped me keep faith by offering her wonderful perspective. 

Nov 18 - My hard working hubby.  Today Nathan was honored for all his hard work.  He was selected as Sailor of the Year.  I'm grateful that Nathan works so hard so that we can enjoy the life we do.

Nov 19 - Date nights.  We went to see Harry Potter tonight.  Mom also treated us to dinner in celebration of Nathan's award.  We tried out a new place called Stir Crazy and it was excellent!

Nov 20 -Deep Fryer.  A couple months ago Nathan and I got a new deep fryer.  We've been trying out different things and tonight we made Cajun Garlic Fries (like Five Guys has) and they were awesome...and SO much cheaper than Five Guys' Fries!

Nov 21 - Speaking in church.  Nathan and I were asked to talk in church today because we're moving soon.  I was asked to speak on Faith and it was EXACTLY what I needed to study the last few days.

Nov 22 - Winston.  He always seems to know when my mood is just not quite perky and he'll do his best to lift it by snuggling to me.  Love that little gray fluffer. 

Nov 23 - No Snow.  Friends and family got snow today and while I would love to be stuck at home with a cup of cocoa and a book during a snowstorm...that would not be my reality if it were to storm.  I would be stuck behind the wheel of my car, for likely near two hours, fighting idiot drivers all the way to work.  So I'm glad that the snow stayed away...at least for now.

Nov 24 - Red Box.  I mean seriously...$1!  to rent a movie?!?  Nathan and I are converts to Red Box (former Blockbuster movie renters...now I cringe to think we paid THAT MUCH to rent movies)...we saw the light shortly after we moved here and have been in love ever since.  If you haven't tried out your local Red Box...you should give it a whirl!

Nov 25 - The Hardys.  We live far from family so holidays are always tough.  Our friends Jason and Kat Hardy invited us to spend Thanksgiving with them and Jason's parents, which we were very grateful for because it meant we wouldn't have to spend the holiday alone.

Nov 26 - Black Friday Deals & a shopper hubby.  Today I drug Nathan out Black Friday Shopping.  We didn't do it for people on our gift list...we did it for us.  Now wait before you call me horribly selfish.  There have been some things on our "wish list" for quite a while, but they are usually so expensive that we couldn't justify getting them.  So we took advantage of some wicked sweet deals today and picked up some of the things on our list.  So what'd we score?  THESE sheets...for $44 (regularly $179!) and THIS down comforter for $30 (regularly $169!).  We also picked up a 6' ladder for $14 bucks and a slow cooker for $10.  I am also grateful that I have a hubby who is willing to spend all day with me fighting crowds and waiting in lines.  He also let me go to TWO Jo-Ann's Fabrics stores AND DSW.

Nov 27 - Hubby with a strong stomach.  We hit up IKEA today...looking for a stand for our TV and while we were there we took advantage of their (previously always awesome) meatball and mash  potato lunch.  It wasn't within only an hour or so I was violently ill.  The muscles around my stomach and ribcage were so sore the next day from all the heaving (sorry if that's TMI).  While I was having my one-on-one date with the porcelain, my sweet hubby stood watch over me...rubbing tiny circles on my back.  I know I could never have done that for him...my gag reflex would have had me down on the floor with him.  That simple gesture showed so much kindness and made a yucky situation a little better.

Nov 28 - Hope.  Over the weekend I heard good news from two friends.  They are both getting their wish come true...and hearing that from other people in situations similar (in some ways...and very different in others) to ours gives me hope that someday our wishes will also come true.

Nov 29 - Dinner with Friends.  Tonight we hung out with our friends Joseph and Alison (who incidentally we probably would have had Thanksgiving with...but they had to up and desert us for the Florida Keys...can you believe them?!?).  We went to this cool place called Flat Top Grill for dinner.  It's a "make your own stir-fry" type of place.  And my oh my do I love stir-fry (I swear I didn't mean for that to rhyme) so I was in heaven.  We will DEFINITELY be eating there again!

Nov 30 - Sleeping in.  I know I mentioned it once before...but I'm extra grateful for it today.  It's cold and rainy outside and I got to sleep in a bit and spend an extra hour or so all snuggled up to my kitty, in my new sheets and under my new down comforter.  My work schedule is crazy and a lot of the time I really don't like the games it plays on my poor internal clock...but today I was grateful to be scheduled for the late shift so I could sleep in!

1 comment:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Holly,
i didnt realize you were doing this--I never checked your tab. I'm so glad you did a recap here, though, because I enjoyed reading about your month and the perspective of gratitude that you felt, even amidst the challenges you faced! I loved this post!
Also, i've enjoyed reading all the adoption posts, and I've been contemplating the matter of adoption this month as a result. Thank you for all your efforts in putting the word out there! I'm excited to have your awesome pass-along cards, and have already given out two. I'm still crossing my fingers and praying for you and Nate!